Sunday, August 9, 2015

When good guacs go bad....

Chips. Salsa. Guacamole.  My tummy is growling just thinking about those delicious snack items.  Any restaurant that serves chips and salsa gets 4 stars in my book. One local restaurant that my hubby and I go crazy for is Anejo Mexican Bistro and Taco Bar (link here!) They have the most amazing chips with a salsa that is to die for- just a little bit of spice making you want to take a little extra sip of your giant margarita:) If you're lucky enough the chips will be warm when they politely place them on your table.  One of my favorite "Bocaditos"  that they offer is table side made guacamole.  They come to your table with the avocados and all the fixings and leave you with even more chips.  I love chunky guacamole and they do it right. Hopefully date night will come sooner rather than later and I can fill up on some delicious Mexican fare.   Until we can have a date night I will just have to make due with using some of my fresh veggies to whip up some salsa and guacamole!




Over the last 6 years my love for guacamole has grown to an all time high!  I was always afraid to try it(something about the consistency turned me away).  One night I was at my sister's house and her boyfriend took out his mortar and pestle and made some really incredible guacamole.  He looked like he had gone through so much work to make it and I couldn't be rude and say no.  When I finally tried it I knew that I had been missing out on one of the most delicious accompaniment to the tortilla chip!  The recipe for Guacamole is so simple, easy to make and absolutely delicious.



*** If you buy avocados that just aren't ripe enough place them in a brown paper bag with an apple or banana.  Ethylene gas is released and will ripen the avocados!!****
                                                                 Guacamole
  • 2 Avocados 
  • 4 tsp. salt 
  • 4 tsp. pepper 
  • 4 tsp. lime juice- freshly squeezed 
  • 2 Tb. of minced onions

  1. Cut avocado in half using a chef knife (lightly slice around the avocado length wise.  Then twist apart. You will then be able to take out the pit by stabbing it with a fork-BE CAREFUL!)
  2. Use small knife to slice into avocado to create a checker board design and then scoop out cubes into dish (I prefer chunky but can mush until desired consistency)
  3. Cut lime in half and squeeze 
  4. Mince onions and then add to avocados.
  5. Sprinkle salt and pepper in and add according to taste 
  6. Cover with plastic wrap and press against the guacamole so it will stay a beautiful green and place in refrigerator until you are ready to enjoy!!


* I am very basic with my guacamole.  I do sometimes like the addition of  tomatoes and spicy peppers like Serrano or jalapeno. 


If you would really like to wow your guests then try mixing up this tropical flavored Guacamole.  One of my employees a few years made this for the team during a pot luck.  I really hadn't tried Pomegranate before and this blew my mind!!!  This recipe will feed an army.



                                                           Sarah's Guacamole
  • 1/2 red onion, diced 
  • 2 Serrano chilli peppers, de-seeded, chopped 
  • 1 lime- freshly squeezed 
  • 6 avocados
  • 1 pomegranate 
  • 2 mangoes, chopped 
  • Salt and pepper to taste

  • Mix above items until delicious!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment