Thursday, August 6, 2015

It's a pickling time of year....

  Today was my day off so I spent the first part of the day at a book talk and signing for one of my favorite authors, Elin Hilderbrand.  If you need a good beach read she is the go to gal.  Her newest book, "The Rumor" has been out in hardcover for a few months!  Learn more about her and the books at Elin Hilderbrand's website .
Here is a picture(in case you are wondering) of her latest book!






Ok back on track.  My husband and I, while my daughter was sleeping, were able to get out of Ball jars and get to making pickles.  We like to make multiple jars using various recipes and then compare  once we are ready.  I will give you our basic recipe and then share what other items we through in to keep it exciting!

                                                  Refridegerator Pickles- base

1 Cup vinegar                                    
1 Cup water
1 Tbs. kosher salt
1 tsp. pickling spices

-I use these proportions and then adjust accordingly based on how many jars and pickles we have.  I have yet to make a batch of pickles that we don't like.

I love to add in garlic, dill, fresh onions, hot peppers and sriracha

Every year we go to Maine for vacation and there is this wonderful little market the New Gloucester Village Market. We had just gone apple picking and we took the wrong turn back to our campground.  We decided to check it out and it was one of the best decisions we have ever made:) I remember my husband had a Reuben sandwich and I had veggie lasagna. Pickles. Pickles. Pickles Both sandwiches came with the most delicious refridgerator pickles we had ever eaten.  So every time we make our new batch of pickles we try to channel the Village Market!!!



For a few of the jars we boiled the brine.  This jumpstarts the process and we should be able to enjoy the pickles in as few as 7 days!  I will be sure to post!  This afternoon my husband and I will attempt to set up my greenhouse!

 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE!!! The greenhouse is on the back burner for now. We really hadn't thought much about the base and when we read through the 19 pages of instructions and all of the reviews that people had left on various sites we realized we need to construct a few more items to make it structurally sound. Looks like I will be putting off the greenhouse for a little while! We should have about 2 1/2 months until frost. NOT looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete